Sunday, August 29, 2010

Random thoughts...this is a blog, right?

Today was such a Saturday. I woke up and shared the kitchen with three other guys as we sleepily staggered around bumping into cabinets and fumbling through drawers looking for ever-elusive forks, making breakfast, and figuring out what was happening on our respective schedules for the day. It reminded me how thankful I am to live with four good friends, and how richly God has blessed my life.
The morning turned into a warm afternoon, and the search online for a new washer/dryer continued.
"What about this one that's four hundred?"
"That's really more than I wanted to put in towards one, even if it was quite a bit nicer."
"I know, but this one is more green."
"Look, if you want green let's go with the two-hundred dollar one and I'll buy a five dollar can of paint and make it green."
"Did you get an email back yet?"
"No, that means it's probably gone right?"
"Yep. I bought it and I'll put it downstairs and none of you can use it."
"You're a jerk."
"You wanted a green one."

And so on. It wasn't that much different than the banter I heard from the five little girls I babysat for a housechurch meeting that evening.
"Okay, in this one then you're a bear."
"Grace."
"And then since you're the bear we all have to run around and you chase us."
"GRACE!"
"And then since you're a bear, we can escape by hiding under the blanket, and that means we stand in the middle."
"GRACE!"
"So we're all running, and you're chasing us."
"GRACE, THAT ISN'T WHAT I HAD PLANNED FOR US TO PLAY!"
"And then that's a safe base right there."

The beautiful slow ending of summer, a warm evening and home-made dinner of sausage gumbo and rice. Jason, Andy, Ryan and I spent several hours talking about Da Vinci and what a brilliant man he was, stood around the computer and "oohed" and "aahed" over his artwork, and speculated about how AWESOME the weapons he had imagined and drawn out for us to get excited about.



It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things.
      -Leonardo Da Vinci

No comments:

Post a Comment