Friday, March 5, 2010

A moment, please...

I am now convinced in a way that says "I just came up with this, but I still think it's true" that the world is made up of moments.
The moment you hang up and think "that was a really, really good conversation. She loves me."
The moment you set the weight set down and go "whoa. That felt good."
The moment you tip back in your chair and feel very full.
The moment someone takes you aside to tell you that they appreciate you, or the moment you take someone aside to tell them you appreciate them and you see their eyes light up.
The moment when you're dancing in your room going "I'm never going to be too old for this."
The moment you get an unexpectedly good grade. "What?! That can't be right."
The moment you see a young man step back and let an older lady walk onto the light rail first.
The moment you get a cell phone call from someone you haven't heard from in a long time.
The moment the Father shows you something special, something intimate, and you can feel the Holy Spirit convicting you. "I love you, so I'm going to show you this. Will you give it to me?"
The moment you wake up to snow. "AAAAH, today's the day I take the bus. I'm going to be so. late."
The moment you remember you'd put toast in an hour and a half ago, now it's just thick, crumbly paper.
The moment...the moment...the moment.
Moments.

Today I realized again just how involved God is in my life. In life.
I've been working my way slowly through "Life is Vapor," a book full of John Piper's small devotional vignettes.



Jonah 1:17 "The Lord appointed a great fish to swallow up Jonah."
Psalm 107:25 "He commanded and raised the stormy wind, which lifted up the waves of the sea
Luke 8:25 "Who then is this, that he commands even winds and water, and they obey him?"
Psalm 147:15 "He hurls down his crystals of ice like crumbs; who can stand before his cold?"
Isaiah 5:6 "I will also command the clouds that they rain no rain upon it"
Job 36:32 "He covers his hands with the lightning and commands it to strike the mark."

For as long as I can remember I've been fascinated by the weather, had an Oedipidal love for it, and allowed it to fascinate me like few things can. I am now convinced that my moments of awe, the moments of fear, the moments where I found it beautiful in a way few things can compete with...they brought glory to God.
That through His hand He has created something so magnificent, so powerful, so out of reach of humanity, that I am now certain those child-like moments in my life that I've had, and will most likely continue to have, brought Him pleasure, and a smile to whatever His huge face looks like.
In enjoying a sunset, he quietly took it as a compliment.
In walking through the white that poured relentlessly down feeling overwhelmed with the inherent romance that snow brings, He realized that it was good.

And I'm sure He laughed when I yelled, peering through a windshield that protected me from being wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment